In 1912 the Säntisbahn Company started operations on the newly built narrow gauge (1000mm) Appenzell - Wasserauen line. The final objective was the Säntis mountain, with 2503 m the highest peak in the Alpstein mountain chain on the Southern border of the Appenzell country. The goal was to reach the Säntis in 4 stages and the track to Wasserauen was the first stage of this ambitious plan.
But with World War I the so needed flow of tourists dried up and the following stages of the line to the Säntis were never realised. In 1939 the company changed its name from Säntisbahn into Appenzell - Weissbad - Wasserauen Bahn (AWW) and after World War II, in 1947, the AWW merged with the Appenzellerbahn.
The 100th anniversary was commemorated with a 'Bahnhof Fest' (Railway station festivities) at Wasserauen on 26 august and this included expositions, static display of historical railway material and free visit of the power station at Untersee (provides the electricity for the railway). But most interesting were the shuttle services between Wasserauen and Appenzell and back. These services were performed with 3 heritage trains: the electric motorcars BCe 4/4 30 and BCFeh 4/4 5, and the little loco Ge 2/2 49 "Piccolo", all with matching passenger cars.
Unfortunately the day started cloudy and rainy but in the afternoon the wetter improved and the sun reappeared.
The beautifully restored CFe 3/3 2, at the static display. This motorcar was built in 1911 for the Altstätten - Gais bahn (AG). This railroad merged in 1948 with the Sankt Gallen - Gais - Appenzell Bahn (SGA). Finally in 1988, the SGA merged with the Appenzellerbahn to form a new company, the Appenzeller Bahnen (AB).
Ge 2/2 49 'Piccolo', the small 2 axle engine on its way from Wasserauen to Appenzell. The two passenger cars are original Säntisbahn cars.
BCe 4/4 30, returning from Appenzell.
BCFeh 4/4 5 between Weissbad and Steinegg.
The last passenger car normally goes with te CFe 3/3 2 (see static display).